Still en route to Vietnam, but had to fly to Tapei, Taiwan first, then from there to Kaohsiung (south Taiwan) and now I am catching a flight to Hanoi, Vietnam.
On the flight from Los Angeles to Tapei (14 hrs..with HORRIBLE turbulence..luckily I was watching movies and drinking free beer so didnt mind too much), I sat next to this funny guy Dennis who had just graduated from Cal Lutheran with his masters degree in Business. He was born and raised in Taipei, so we talked for a while about Asia and the whole Chinese-Taiwanese political issues. He tells me the asian women absolutely love white guys, which I actually have noticed :) Also, they handed out slippers on the plane flight over, and Dennis told me it was because all the blood rushes to your feet and so your feet swell and won't fit in your shoes... That definitely freaked me out, so I made sure to stand up and walk around on the plane as much as possible. At one point I layed upside down in my seat because my legs started cramping and I was worried about blood clots.. These asians really don't care what you do, no shame or embarressment. One guy on the plane two seats away started singing in Chinese really loud for like 40 minutes.. nobody cared or even seemed to notice!
Anyways, after landing in Taipei I had to fly to Kaohsiung (south Taiwan), however when I went to get my transfer ticket in Taipei they told me I was a day late! Apparentally my dad forgot to account for the one day time change when booking my flights.. I had six Taiwanese ladies (all very young..probably my age) all huddled around a computer talking fast to each other..and then giggling and looking up at me. Not sure what was said, but I got a ticket and made my flight. Same issue happened when checking into my hotel in Kaohsiung, and when checking into my morning flight from Kaohsiung to Hanoi..and Im sure I'll have the same issue when trying to check into my Hostel in Hanoi, Vietnam.. They all look at me and laugh and circle the date on my paperwork.. "Yesterday..No today"
Well I am boarding my flight to Hanoi in about 20 minutes. So far so good, but jetlagged and ready to settle into a hostel and meet some english speaking people. I'm sure I'll have more interesting stories once I get into Vietnam..
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Guess you learned the hard way about double checking reservations. Something they don't teach at school.
ReplyDeleteSorry I missed you in Miami so I could hear about this great trip of yours. I'll keep checking up on you.
Have fun.
.. Aunt Alexa