Vietnam, wow what a trip this place is. I've been having SUCH a fun time so far! The first day I landed in Hanoi and did a walking tour of the city, which is absolutely nuts. Sidewalks are packed with all the stuff people are trying to sell, and there are whole streets that focus on some random item to sell .. There's a street for tin boxes, street for fruits, for street toys, street for firewood, for street mailboxes, etc.. etc. it's really cool actually. Also, getting around is insane. There's no rules to the road, ride motorcycles on the wrong side, they all speed, ride on Sidewalks, etc. Crossing the street you feel like you will die. I paid like $ 1 and hopped on the back of a motorcycle and the guy drove me around to all the big sites for like 30-40 minutes, it was hilarious.
Ya so on the second and third day I went to Halong Bay, which was really really sick. I slept in this huge Chinese boat for the night and played drinking games till 4am with all the Aussies and Brits and Irish, which is the big three types of people traveling here. Jumped off the top of the boat into the bay, went kayaking, etc. etc. I really need to upload pictures, but even then it wont do it justice. Oh and this guy was hilarious Spanish guy was on the trip to Halong Bay as well, where there's like 1970 islands, and he was like "i want to spend a day and night on some secluded island" .. so the captain of our boat flagged down another boat and he paid $ 5 and off he went to some island with monkeys and stuff. I really wanted to go with him but im pressed for time and would rather head south where its warmer.. Also ill be seeing tons of monkeys and more beautiful islands in thailand.
Last night I went out in Hanoi, and whats crazy is that the city has a curfew of midnight .. Communism! But we were at this bar called "Hair of the Dog" which was so so packed with westerners. At midnight they just closed the front gate of the bar, and we partied on till like 3ish. Apparentally if we were to get caught all you have to do is give the police some cigerrettes and they will leave you alone. Spent today seeing the tourist sites really hungover..So im looking forward to my overnight bus down to Hue..Hopefully i can get some sleep.
Anyways, I really really need to upload photos asap. Im loving vietnam, loving all the people im meeting, and I absolutely love the freedom of traveling alone and not having a set day by day plan. Pretty sure im gonna rent a motorcycle in Hue , and ride along the vietnam coast to Hoi An, which is like 2.5 hrs away from Hue. Also I can ride to a ton of vietnam war battle sites.
Pictures to come soon!
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Danny I am loving your blog and am so happy that u are having such a great time. Can't wait to see some pictures!
ReplyDelete